Local 58 beginnings date back to 1923. In Astoria, Oregon Local 569 was chartered as a general local. In the early Astoria Labor Movement, Local 569 quickly established its mark.
Local 569 was known for its aggressive organizing and as one Local 569 charter member stated “nobody came in to Astoria and turned a wheel unless he joined the Union.”
Local 182 was another Local in Astoria that was known as the Sand and Gravel Local. They merged with Local 569 after the big Astoria fire in the early 1920’s that destroyed all of Local 182 files and records.
Local 522, another Local in Astoria, merged with Local 569 as well. Local 522 was for the Milk wagon drivers of Astoria. Local 569 was a Local now that represented members in the traits of delivery, construction and manufacturing.
In Vancouver, Wa, Local 501 was chartered in 1935. This was another General Local and represented many members involved with freight as well as members employed in the Kaiser shipyards. Lucky Lager Brewery as well as construction with Bonneville Dam added to the membership at Local 501.
The first of the mergers in to our current Local 58 took place in 1975 with the Astoria Local 569 merging with the Longview Local 58. About a year later, Local 501 out of Vancouver merged with Local 58 as well. The main office was located in downtown Vancouver at the Labor Temple which was a building that was shared with other Local Unions in the area. While these mergers were taking place, we still maintained offices in Astoria and Longview/Kelso area. Shortly after the last merger to what is now known as Local 58, a new building was built on Andresen Road which is our current location. Today we still maintain these offices in Astoria (original location at Labor Temple),Longview and Vancouver to better serve the membership.